In my life, I have found that a key to physical and emotional healing is through the chakras. The seven chakras are energy centers in the body that vibrate to create the aura, or the body’s electromagnetic field. This field has been scientifically proven to exist and can be measured with the right equipment.
Each chakra is also affiliated with a different aspect of our emotional and physical wellbeing so if you are having problems, a great place to start is with the corresponding chakra. According to Caroline Myss, when a chakra is out of balance, illnesses, including cancer, can arise in the areas near that chakra. In her book, Anatomy of the Spirit, Myss details the following correlations starting at the first chakra located at the root of the spine:
- 1 Root chakra = problems with legs, feet, lower back, immune system, rectum, depression
- 2 Sex chakra = problems with sexual organs, large intestine, bladder, pelvis, hips, appendix
- 3 Power chakra = abdomen, stomach, liver, pancreas, kidneys, adrenal glands, spleen, anorexia or bulimia
- 4 Heart chakra = heart, circulation, lungs, shoulders, ribs, breasts, thymus gland, asthma, allergies
- 5 Throat chakra = throat, thyroid, neck, mouth, teeth/gums, esophagus, hypothalamus, TMJ, laryngitis
- 6 Third eye chakra = eyes, nose, ears, brain, nervous system, pineal gland, pituitary gland, learning disabilities, seizures
- 7 Crown chakra = muscular system, skeletal system, skin, chronic exhaustion, extreme sensitivity to light/sound/environment
If you’d like to learn more, Mary Kraemer has written a nice overview and Caroline Myss has several great videos on YouTube on this subject.
I have worked on my chakras to support both physical and emotional healing. I once had a long bout with a cough that would not go away. No medical treatment worked so in frustration, I started looking at alternative treatments. That is when I discovered chakra work and realized I need to attend to my throat chakra. My physical symptoms were just a manifestation of my inability to “speak up” for myself and I was feeling very silenced in some parts of my life. I did some energy work on the throat chakra (there are great chakra meditations out there), and I also took action by saying what I needed to say. Within weeks, the cough was gone and I felt great.
If you want to explore this method of healing, look for energy work practitioners in your area that balance the chakras. Some particular methods to explore are Reiki, Acupuncture and Craniosacral Therapy. You can read more in the Energy Work section of the Toolbox.
Come to my workshop on Healing Your Body & Soul on Saturday, July 28. Read more about it in the Workshops section of this site.